Tuesday 26 July 2011

July 26/2011

Today was awesome! This morning John, Steph, Jason, Jose and I taught CPR at a university here in jinotepe, and then again at a highschool. While at the highschool Steph and I (with the assistance of Jose for translating) talked to the school director about coming in for health classes. She seemed in, and so we are trying to make different lesson plans according to age. This afternoon at the clinic, Chema (the nurse who has been looking after us) sat me down in his chair, said "doctora Brianne", gave me the file of a patient, and left. She was pregnant, so I asked her questions about the pregnancy, told her about healthy eating and minerals she needs, took her blood pressure, heart rate, and weight. Chema came back in time to tell me to continue, so I measured her stomach, found the baby's head but etc. so as to know which way it was situated, and found the baby's pulse. The mother also had an infection, so Chema told me to feel around inside her, and I don't really know what I was feeling for. I watched when it hurt her and felt for inflammation but thats about all I could do. Doctora Brianne then made suggestions as to what prescriptions we should give her and she was on her way! We had a delicious dinner tonight of a ground beef dish, followed by my now infamous banana flambay. This evening we are on our way to teach the firefighters how to use spinal boards, and those firefighters not participating at the time, have to spend their evening teaching us spanish. This will be awesome, as it has taken us this long to realize how poor the basecamp spanish teacher really is...

No comments:

Post a Comment