Tuesday 5 July 2011

Market

Today we had a tour of Jinotepe, the town we are staying in. It seems like a lovely city despite the fact that they do not take cleanliness and garbage disposal as seriously as we do at home. I exchanged money into the nicaraguan currency (cordova) and then after lunch, went off to the market in Masaya. Masaya is know for having the highest rate of aids, and being a place where people chase you and try to prick you with their aids infected needles. So of course it seemed like a natural place to practice bargaining(of which I am quite talented if you ask me). I bought chocolate, an orange juice, and sunglasses that dye my nose pink. It was really fun but the hour minibus ride there and back in a steel van with twenty people inside was very unpleasant. I felt quite sick by the time we got home. Had supper of fried cheese and fried bananas that while good, had to be supplemented with a couple tablespoons of the peanut butter I brought. The people here are very nice, but very forward towards blonde white girls, yelling things like chalita or gringa!

No comments:

Post a Comment