Wednesday 10 August 2011

August 10/2011

This morning began with watching surgeries again. Steph and I watch a histerectomy (not sure on the spelling!), and it was very neat. They let us get very close, and help out prepping the room for surgery. The uterus was very small, and muscular...looked very much like a chicken thigh. I then went to go to the clinic in diriamba, however there was absolutely no work to be done, and I came back home. After that dissapointment, I went to the hospital this afternoon. There Steph and I tried to find something to do in emergency, pediatrics emergency, observation, peds observation, the peds ward, maternity, and the shock room...was there anything to do? No. Although we were able to make a few kids smile, and in particular put on a puppet show with a kids shoes, and a crib matress. We did it in spanish, and I think the parents found it just as comical as the kids. I looked around trying to find someone to fix my camera after going for an icetea with our surfer friend Tomas who was in town from San Juan. We then went to "quick burger" for dinner, and Steph and I went back to the hospital to visit the maternity ward. Within ten minutes of being there, a woman had a baby. I feel more and more useful the more I am around for, I know where things are that is. I put antibiotics on the baby's eyes, cut the umbilical cord, poured water, and helped clean up. It was lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment