Tuesday 2 August 2011

August 2/2011

A very very busy day. This morning Steph and I began our lessons at San Jose school at seven in the morning. We taught three half hour classes; the first regarding hygeine, nutrition, and exercise with grade one kids, the second regarding HIV, AIDS, hygeine, and nutrition with kids probably 14 years old, and the same first talk with the grade four kids. It was definitely a challenge, but it was surprising how little they had previously knew. The spanish was a challenge but succesful, and it really did feel like we were making a difference there. After our lessons, I went to Diriamba to work in the clinic. There, I performed a breast exam, gave a birth control shot, and we went into the community giving vaccines to kids whose parents had neglected bringing them to the clinic. In the afternoon, I went to Santiago hospital in Jinotepe. There, I spent majority of the time going around getting to know different doctors and establishing relationships(as it was my first day there). I made doctor friends especially in pediatric emergency, obstetrics, and pediatrics. I am super excited to get to work there!

No comments:

Post a Comment