Wednesday 3 August 2011

August 3/2011

Today began with teaching a couple lessons in the morning, both to the primary level kids. One girl loved our presentation on hygeine so much, she drew both me and Steph pictures of ourselves. So cute! We usually conclude our lessons by playing "amoeba tag", or "estas enferma!" which tends to be quite chaotic but super fun! After our lessons I went to the hospital and worked in the pediatric emergency room for a bit (taking weights of babies, heights, temperatures, giving them oxygen with saline masks for respiratory stress etc.). I then continued on to the maturnity ward, and found the same two doctors I was working with yesterday. I got to help one of them perform some follow-up exams in the observation room on women who had just gotten c-sections. I got to help rebandage where they had gotten their c-section which was pretty neat. After lunch I went to Diriamba to work in the clinic. I  helped with paperwork, went out into the community to educate on how to take care of children under the age of five (providing a magazine on the topic as well), and observed a few appointments in the clinic as well. When we went out into the community, we went to the "slummiest" of houses I have seen yet, and even saw a rat crawling around where children play. We went for a run when I got back, and continued on to the firestation where the firefighters that Jason had trained were graduating. We were designated photo takers. It has been a very long day, and am really looking forward to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment