Monday 15 August 2011

August 15/2011

This morning began with surgeries again. I went into one of the three surgery rooms, and watched a surgery where they removed something small and white on the man's right side under his ribs. I got to help the anesthaesiologist with hanging up the IV bags, tie down the guy's arms, flip a few switches etc. (I got to help her mostly because she was too short to reach where they hang them!). During the surgery, the doctor actually acknowledged my presence, usually they are so focused, halted the surgery and called me over to explain exactly what was going on. I didn't understand because it was in spanish, but he showed me some neat things! Oh, and did I mention the man was awake for most of it? Ya, while the doctor was fishing around under his ribs, I glanced at the guys face and he was looking around, and grimacing slightly. I actually felt pretty involved! I went straight to maternity where a woman literally popped out a baby as I walked in the door. I helped with clean up and hung around talking with the doctors and helping where needed until lunch. I went to the clinic in Diriamba this afternoon, where I gave a couple vaccines, took blood pressures of a couple people, and was given my own stamped prescription pad! Thats right, Doctora Brianne can now officially prescribe drugs to people in Nicaragua when ever she pleases:) I swung by the hospital on my way back, and the ER was hopping. Apparantly there had been a minibus accident and a few people actually died. There was another man brought in wearing handcuffs with the police covered in blood. He needed quite a few stitches and some head bandages. This evening I made delicious watermelon, pineapple, lime juice, and have been doing some research on some of the things I have seen. Overall, a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment