Tuesday 16 August 2011

August 16/2011

This morning Steph and I went to surgeries, and we each picked two different rooms to go observe in. I chose a room where the doctor who showed me stuff in surgeries yesterday was. This was a great choice, the doctor asked a nurse to bring me a wooden step so that I could watch right over his shoulder. He calls me Fria, but I don't care because he was trying so hard to involve me today. My head was right by his the whole time so I was about as close as I could get. The surgery itself involved an incision again below his ribs on the right side. They removed something about three inches long that had a hard mass in it. They also drained another organ that appeared to be filled with water. Very interesting to watch. After this I went to the hospital for the morning in the ER. It was so busy, they definitely had more patients than the hospital could handle. I was giving injections through the IV port, changing IV bags, and transporting patients from the little triage area to observation (where they had to resort to using plastic lawn chairs for the patients to sit in). I felt very useful. This afternoon I went back to the hospital, and I STARTED AN IV!!!! It was sweet! I went to maternnity after this where I helped taking blood pressures and chatted with the doctors, but there were no births while I was there. We made chocolate cake using only pop and cooking it in the microwave (the gas in the stove ran out) which turned out surprisingly well, for John's birthday. We even drizzled caramel sauce on top. Afterwards Steph and I went back to maternity where we did get to watch another birth. There seemed to be a few complications however, they had to bring in a couple more doctors, so we were not able to help out very much. We were really only able to bring them tools, and pour water when the doctor needed it. Always amazing though to watch for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment